Thursday, October 2, 2008

Carry On

It's easy to fight when everything's right,
When you're mad with the thrill and glory.
It's easy to cheer when victory is near
And wallow in fields that are gory.
It's a different song when everything's wrong,
When you're feeling infernally mortal.
When it's ten against one and hope there is none,
Buck up little soldier and chortle,
Carry on, carry on! There isn't much punch in your blow
You're glaring and staring and hitting out blind,
You're muddy and bloody but never you mind,
Carry on, Carry on.  You haven't the ghost of a show.
It's looking like death, but while you've a breath,
Carry on, my son, carry on.
(Robert W. Service quoted by Brian Tracy, "Success is a Journey", p.103-4)

I have been feeling a bit frustrated with the people I've been talking to lately about investing in my projects.  Life would be easy if we were in the lending frenzy of 2 years ago but things are not like that now.  So putting money together for a project has become the most challenging part of the task.  Right now I have a project that shows an estimated profit of about $100,000.  I need about $50,000 for the initial investment (and cost to change), property's current value is $380,000 and the future value is $540,000.  The worst case scenario is that we hold this property long-term with a positive cash-flow.  But everyone is so scared of the market that they are not thinking clearly anymore.  

I have additional projects that could move forward if the financing was there but this is one of those moments when things look bleak (feeling infernally mortal).  But I'll keep pushing forward.  There are level headed investors who'll recognize a good deal when they see it and I'll still make these projects work.

No comments: